Thursday, August 16, 2012

On Being Burned Out

I feel like this dog looks!  By the end of yesterday's work day I'd managed to serve the Lord better than the day before.  However!  Ashamed as I am to admit it, by the time I got home I was in a foul mood, ready to cry, and very angry.  My wife told me I was angry, not in words, but in her body language.  And so I became useless to the Lord in the one place where I needed to be the most useful, with my family.  How could I fail there?  I love my family, and especially my lovely wife more than anything but Jesus!

Burn out!  Today I went to work and realized that I was shaking.  My physical reserves are wasted.  My emotional reserves are wasted.  My spiritual reserves are almost completely used up.  Worse, I'm responsible for allowing myself to get to this place.  You probably never struggle with that.  I do.

Today, I want to serve the Lord.  But I feel so empty I know that if one person pushes my buttons the wrong way I could explode.  On top of that things have to change drastically where I work.  It makes me afraid to know that it will be painful and difficult for all of us.  Won't it be great when the Lord comes to get us?  I know!  Do not grow weary of doing good!  I get it!  The paycheck hasn't been issued yet!  So this weekend I'm going to make sure I get the proper amount of rest and relaxation.  Even doing that can be painful!  Stupid Adam!

No comments:

Post a Comment