Sunday, July 5, 2015

Vacation Observations

It has rained off and on for the past few days, but not so much it interfered with swimming in the pool, visiting town for the fireworks, or enjoying the lush green and amazing vibrant flowers of Maryland.  This morning I stood outside the back door and listened to the insects, birds, and sounds of the countryside with a deep sense of peace.  We're on vacation, and that means I can take the time to do some things related to my spiritual well-being, refreshing and recharging with my best friend and constant companion, the Lord.  His word has been especially meaningful to me over the past few days and I've experienced his touch on my life in an exciting series of insights.  "God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.  You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.  True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction."  That's the first two verses of Psalm 23 in The Message.  He is always true to me, even when I am not true to Him!

Jill and Rodney live in Mt. Airy, Maryland.  I have always loved coming here and visiting with family, especially the Lehman family.  For the past nine years Serena has lived here, renting a room from Rodney and Jill, and tomorrow we leave for California.  It is a traumatic time for her.  For us as well!  Yet I always know that as long as Jill and Rodney live here I can come and visit.  They know they're welcome in California at our house too!  Any time!  Although I miss the lush plant life and beautiful farms with tall fields of corn waving in the wind, the deer on the side of the road and in clearings during the evenings and night hours, streams, rivers, and lakes everywhere, California is still our home.  Until God moves us it will remain home.

We enjoyed the swimming pool, playing with Ethan and Grant, and their friends, Katherine, Nicole, and Andrew.  The house was full of children and the usual noises that accompany a house full of kids.  We played games, read stories, and enjoyed spending time with the children.  Talking to Jill and Rodney, older relatives we met for dinner one evening, and other family that came to visit on the Fourth was rewarding and sweet, and we will leave with those memories warming our hearts.  Every time I am with my family I thank God that they are part of my life.  None of us are anything more than sinners, saved by grace, but we love the Lord and we love each other, and somehow that's more than enough!

Meeting some of the kids for the first time was a real treasure.  We got to meet Kristyn and Will's son Grayson and daughter Ella was precious.  I told Mom, Aunt Irma, Aunt Gladys, Uncle Charles, and Aunt Ruth that Cathy and I knew we were so blessed because we came from a rich Christian heritage, a family that followed the Lord Jesus and prayed.  We hope to follow that tradition, praying for our children as they grow up.  Our most urgent prayer is that the children will come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior.  These two dear ones so desperately need to know Him, it has become part of my daily prayers.  Will and Kristyn, you are precious!  I know you are great parents and it fills my heart with joy to know these two precious lives will grow up with your love and leadership.  Duane and Teresa, I know how proud of your kids you are, and with reason!  You too were good parents, and set a good example, and I love you for that!

I didn't get a chance to photograph Travis and Judy with little Emmy.  Here Judy is with Teresa and Emma, and I have one I really like of Travis with Emma.  Again, dear and sweet parents with a life to raise and nurture in faith will be challenged with all the difficulties of parenthood.  Yet I have complete faith in these two!  You two are in my prayers, and I was so impressed with what loving parents you two proved to be!  Watching Teresa and Duane with their grandkids was especially sweet.  Cathy and I love our grandkids to distraction, and love them deeply.  We're not perfect, just sinners saved by grace, but we love them as best we can.  Yet both of us know that we need the Lord to help us.  I guess as we all get older we are realizing just what that means!

Tomorrow Serena, Cathy, and I will get in this amazing Kia Soul to begin our trip home to California.  I'm really looking forward to the scenery and discoveries we will make along the way.  But behind us we will leave family that we love.  Yet the Lord Jesus is watching over them, so I needn't worry about what they might face when we're apart.  That doesn't mean I won't worry about it, because we all know I will.  Yet each time I do I will give that concern to the Lord in the knowledge that He is far better at caring for my family than I will ever understand!  What will tomorrow bring?  I don't know!  But He does!  I am anticipating many things tomorrow, but first and foremost is His tender loving care for us. At least of that, I am sure.

He watches over every creature, knows when a turtle scoots off a float into the water, what it eats each day, and though it neither toils nor plans, He cares for it.  Such beauty reminds me that He is a creative genius, His wisdom and power far beyond my understanding.  What will He weave into my life tomorrow as part of His design for my life?  I can't wait to find out.  Yet it is today that I must focus upon.  Today He is touching my life and weaving into it His plans for me.  Will I see them?  I pray that it is so!  So often I get so busy that I miss His touch!  I'm very thankful for vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment