Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Unnoticed!!

Sitting on the bottom of a lake, tucked in the weeds, camouflaged in the darkness, this Alligator Snapper sits with his mouth open, his tongue like a worm, enticing fish to come and take a nibble so he can take a bite!  These predators are hard to see, even when you are looking right at them.  There are predators in the church that are like that, difficult to see, camouflaged, lurking in the shadows.


Jude talks about them in graphic terms.  His plan, when he took up his quill or stylus, was to write about our common salvation (v.3).  Instead he was motivated by the Holy Spirit and inspired to encourage us to contend earnestly for the faith delivered to the saints.  The word delivered is in the aorist tense, which is why in the translation we have "once for all" added.  It is the past perfect tense, something done that is completed and never needs to be done again!  Hallelujah!


In verse 4 Jude tells us that certain persons have crept in unnoticed.  Camouflaged.  Baiting the unwary.  Who are they, and what are they like?  These are the people Paul described in II Timothy 3:1-9:  Lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power.  They turn the grace of God into license to live as they please.


In verses 5 and 6 Jude reminds us just how horrible sin is, contrasting it to the wonderful grace of God.  Remember what happened after He saved Israel out of Egypt.  God opened the ground and swallowed up those who did not believe.  Even after the power of His miraculous rescue of Israel there were those who thought they could live according to their own law.  Even in heaven the ravages of sin is seen!  There are angels so rebellious that they are kept in eternal bonds under darkness until the final judgment!


Following his statement about how bad sin is Jude gives us examples of the devastation of sin.  I can almost hear his thoughts.  "Where is our sense of shame?  Do we really love God enough to be ashamed?  Can't we see how bad sin really is?"


People in my local body of believers can be just like the people of Sodom and Gomorrah!  They can defile the flesh, reject authority, and revile angelic majesties!  In contrast to that is Michael, who when arguing about the body of Moses with the devil did not dare to pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."  Men and women such as these have gone the way of Cain, Balaam, and Korah.


Cain was jealous (Genesis 4:5).  He hardened his heart after God's reproof.  Instead of being broken hearted over his sin he was angry that he got caught, that God knew his sin!  (Genesis 4:6-7)  By the time we get to verse 8 he has killed his own brother!  In verse 9 it is obvious that Cain is irreverent and selfish.  Moreover he has no favor with God (Genesis 4:14-16)


Balaam was famous (Numbers 22:5-6).  He was also self-willed (22:12-22), and as a result had to be saved from destruction by his donkey (22:33)!  Balaam was obviously a man of divided allegiance, eloquent in prophecy but presumptuous in trying to alter God's plan (23:24).  Ultimately he failed (24:10) and was considered an evil counselor (31:16).  How did all that happen?  II Peter 2:15 reminds us that Balaam loved the wages of unrighteousness!


Korah we read about in Numbers 16.  He stood against God's anointed in 16:3.  Everyone who followed him (and he had a lot of followers) was in danger (16:21).  Ultimately Korah and his followers were consumed (Numbers 16:20-31).  Wow!


The really scary fact is that at times I can be one of these!  If I am not paying attention to my spiritual walk and walking in a manner worthy of the calling to which I have been called I can be a hidden reef in our communion celebration, without fear of God's judgment, caring about myself, a cloud without water carried about by the wind, unanchored!  I can be an autumn tree without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted instead of like a tree planted by water (Psalm 1).  I can be driven and tossed by the wind like the surf of the sea because of my doubts (James 1:6-8) unstable in all my ways, my shame like foam.  Instead of being like Enoch I can be ungodly, harsh, speak against my Savior, grumbling, finding fault, following after my own lust, speaking arrogantly, even flattering people for the sake of gaining some advantage instead of loving people as God intended!


Jude doesn't leave me hanging, I'm glad to say.  In verses 17-25 he reminds us how to avoid this.  I'll break it down, because I did this in my devotions this morning for my own benefit.


1.  Remember that I can be like these men at any time (17-19).
2.  Build myself up in holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; keep myself in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.
3.  Have mercy!  Be the man of Colossians 3:10-17 so that I can help others avoid this as well!
4.  Remember that it is Jesus who will keep me from stumbling, who will make me stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, and that all glory, majesty, dominion and authority is His alone!  Amen!


You really are my very best friend, Lord Jesus!  Strengthen me today to earnestly contend for the faith once for all delivered!  Amen.


The danger of becoming a vicious predator is very real for all of us.  Sin is horrible!  Keep this monster at bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment