Monday, July 30, 2012

Where I Live

These little guys are really cute, as small as a dime as hatchlings, and they don't grow very large.  This turtle is known as the "Stinkpot."  I'm not making this up!  When disturbed, it secretes a foul-smelling, yellowish fluid from 2 pairs of musk glands under the border of the carapace, hence the name.  Often one will find these fellows camouflaged by a layer of algae.  As they grow older they're not really very nice turtles, the males especially aggressive, biting quickly, with a long neck that can stretch back as far as their hind legs.  Preferring quiet or slow-moving shallow, muddy-bottomed waters this interesting species (sternotherus odoratus) inhabits fresh waters of Southern Ontario, and coastal Maine to Florida, west to Central Texas, north to Southern Wisconsin.


Where this turtle lives tells one a great deal about it.  The coating of algae on its shell makes it look like a rock on the bottom of a muddy place, hiding it effectively from its food source.  Both its color and its distinctive striping provide adequate camouflage for muddy bottoms where it feeds.  Mud, moving slowly along the bottom silt layer obscures it further.


In our world today the waters are often muddied by immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed.  In Colossians 3 Paul talks about that.  What I find interesting is that where I live often determines how I act!  If I choose to live in those muddied waters then my actions will be what he describes in verses 8-9.  Anger, wrath, malice, slander, abusive speech and lies!


No, I'd much rather move into waters that are crystal clear and filled with light.  Paul talks about that in the next 8 verses (10-17), and then describes how that applies to our families and workplace (18-24).  Instead of squirting out some smelly fluid of immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, being filled with anger, wrath, malice, slander, abusive speech, and lies, I'd like to be filled with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with my fellow believers and forgiving them just like Jesus forgave me.  But I can't do that if I stay in the muddy waters!


Love clears up the water.  I'm talking about real love, the perfect love that casts out all fear, that loves without expecting anything in return.  His love brings peace.  His words, expressed from a thankful heart, can richly dwell within and be used to bless others.  In fact, when I live in the clear water everyone can tell I'm doing what I'm doing for Him, not for me, because all the attention is on Him.  When I do things for me I move right back into those muddy waters.


Where do I live?  Am I a blessing or a stinkpot?  You'll certainly know when we see each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment