Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tears of Joy

Serena and Cathy just left for the airport.  In the conflicting jumble of emotions connected to that event I sat down at my desk and sorted it all out.  I'm going to miss her terribly, and I'm sorry to see her go back to Maryland.  But I am also very proud of her.  Since she's my favorite . . . daughter . . . (I only have one daughter so I can say that!) I mentioned her first.  (It's an inside family joke!  My kids will get it.)  Beneath all the banter and fun my reason for being proud of my daughter is important.  She loves the Lord Jesus and she follows Him.  I can say that about all my children, and my daughters-in-law.

That's Brighton, above, our youngest granddaughter.  Cathy and Savanna probably look like many mother and daughter-in-law pairs, but they are far from ordinary.  Jeremy and Savanna have three children, Bristol, Eldon, and Brighton.  I know my grandchildren are going to be just fine because their parents love Jesus, and follow Him.  Serena isn't married yet.  I told her she can start dating when she's thirty, and now that she's thirty, I guess she'll get started with that!  Whatever God has in store for my daughter, I know she had a godly mom.  Like Cathy, Serena is a godly woman, and so are my daughters-in-law.
  
That's Tawny, Jeff's lovely wife.  She's about to give birth to their second son, Troy.  Like Serena, Tawny grew up in a home that practiced Christian values, that honored and loved the Lord Jesus.  Her mom and dad are two of the godliest people I know.  And she loves the Lord Jesus and follows Him.  The interesting thing about Tawny and Savanna is that they are two very different women, both very different moms, and yet both amazing.  I watch them with the kids and I wonder how I could be so blessed to have two wonderful women married to my sons.  The thing is, both women are amazing because they walk so closely with the Lord.  I see that in both of them and it makes me glad.

Jeremy and Jeff are amazing men of God.  They are great friends, work well together, and have similar values.  Watching them love their wives and children fills me with joy.  They even love their sister, even though they know she's my favorite . . . daughter.  As a pastor I had a lot of people weighing me in the balances, and finding me wanting.  What a surprise!  I'm a sinner saved by grace.  I have no other claim.  Only Jesus!  However, when I look at my children I realize that as short as I fall of the mark, God has blessed me beyond measure!  And I can honestly say that it's all Jesus!  I thank and praise Him for His blessing!  Cathy and I weren't perfect parents.  We made a lot of mistakes.  But we weren't the focus.  Jesus is!  I have wonderful sons and a wonderful daughter (my favorite . . . daughter) because they belong to Him.  He has made them new and He defines who they are!

Sometimes my grandkids just melt my heart.  I sat down on Cathy's hope chest and as soon as Eldon saw where I was sitting he wanted to sit next to me.  Later he brought his mug, because I had my mug.  My grandkids love me!  Despite my shortcomings, they love me!  I had to pause there, for a moment, to wipe away a few tears of joy.  Cathy and I have a favorite song when it comes to our kids and grandkids.  Because He Lives!  Bringing innocent children into this sin-stained and tainted world is a scary thing.  But we know who holds the future!  It's Jesus!  The lovingkindness of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children's children!  (That's in Psalm 103 if you want to look it up.)

Tears of joy!  I love them, even if they give me a sinus headache!  Because He lives, I can face tomorrow!  Because He lives, all fear is gone!  Because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living, just because He lives!  Amen!  So my favorite sons, daughter, and daughters-in-law, my beloved wife and favorite grandkids, remember that!  This world can be pretty scary sometimes, and life can become a heavy burden.  Just turn to Jesus.  He makes it all better!  I love you all very much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment