Friday, June 15, 2012

Remember This Day

Memories

This may not be the best time to talk about hirsute hiatae, but I did have hair!  Perhaps I should mention that the most beautiful woman in the world is still the most beautiful woman in the world!  She has aged (gracefully of course) but her smile and the beauty of her soul shining from her eyes remains the same.  I am a truly fortunate man.
Naturally my uxorious memories must be penned with philic care.  My tendencies to wax eloquent when speaking of the virtues of my beloved Cathy are understandable.  In course terms:  "Eat your heart out guys!  She's mine!"  Of course I would never give myself imprimature to print sordid prose!  All joking aside, Cathy holds my heart, she is my desire, and my daily prayer is that I will be the kind of husband that reflects the love of Christ to her in a very real and tangible way.

On the day we stood at the front of the church and made our wedding vows all the promise of a life filled with love and devotion was there.  Thirty-eight years later I can honestly say that we have not grown weary of each other, or of our efforts to fulfill the promise.

Not long ago I told Cathy that I loved her, as I often do.  Her reply surprised me.

"I don't know why!"  She said.

Of course I had to become facund and playfully recited part of our wedding vows.  "I love you because you looked into my heart, and passing over all the foolish and weak things you couldn't help dimly seeing there, you drew out the beautiful belongings no one else looked quite far enough to find!"  Her reply was typical of her wry sense of humor.

"Whoa, honey!  We've been married thirty-eight years.  The honeymoon is over and I see the foolish and weak things very clearly!"

Ouch!  (Go ahead and laugh!)

Amazing as it seems the promise is still there before us.  Hand-in-hand (we still do that) we will walk into our future with confidence because the Lord Jesus goes before us, preparing the table before us, filling our cups to overflowing through His grace and mercy.  Our love for each other continues to grow, though that has every appearance of being impossible.  I find myself looking forward to the years that come with quite pleasant feelings.  Bunchie, I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment