Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Turtles in the Family

Happy Birthday Tawny

Today is Tawny's birthday.  For those of you who do not know me or my family Tawny is my daughter-in-law.  Her mom and dad were members of the church I pastored for 13 years, dear friends, and now dear family.  This post is about a young lady who has added so much to our family.

When Tawny was still in High School she wanted to learn how to play the guitar.  So did her mom.  So I gave guitar lessons at the church.  Eventually they both played guitar on the worship team.

At that time I had no inkling that one day this young lady would ever be part of my family.  Nor did I bend my knee and pray that God would lead one of my sons to fall in love with and marry her.  Because she was in my congregation I wanted God's best for her, and I knew and trusted Him to lead her in whatever path He chose.  Psalm 25:12-13 reminds us:  "Who is the man (or woman) who fears the Lord?  He will instruct him (or her) in the way he (or she) should choose.  His (or her) soul will abide in prosperity, and his (or her) descendants will inherit the land."  (NASB)

Tawny was that kind of girl.  She had a growing faith and walk with the Lord, and was very serious about her relationship with Him.  In fact, the whole Badano family was that way.  Ruben, Debbie, Tawny, Tiffany, Luke, and Noah.  I could see God's hand on each of them and watched with wonder as He touched each one.  That hasn't changed, by His grace and mercy.

Both of my sons would certainly be interested in her, I knew, because she was lovely.  Physically and spiritually she was lovely.  That's a powerful combination.  There was a purity about her that came with her desire to serve the Lord that everyone could see.  So I prayed that my sons would keep their vows of purity and treat any girl they courted with the utmost respect.  I'm proud to say that both of them conducted themselves as young men of God in that regard.  There is the temptation to say that they were perfect in every way, but alas!  I knew them too well.

Imagine my delight when Tawny became a part of my family.  Jeff had chosen a godly woman for his wife.  I remember that I was so excited as I conducted the wedding as the pastor that I forgot to tell Jeff he could kiss the bride at the end of the ceremony!  Or was that done on purpose?  It's hard to remember it clearly.  Jeff certainly didn't let me get away with that!

Suddenly we had a whole new crew of Badano turtles in our Bennett turtle family!  We still live in different ponds, but there are many times we get together to bask in the Sonlight of God's love.  Those times are always precious to me.  Frankly, we don't do it enough!

Jeff and Tawny found their own turtle pond in which to live, and along came Brody!  He's the littlest Bennett turtle.  I'm sure I'm as jealous of the time Brody spends with Ruben as he is with the time Brody spends with me.  We have so much to be thankful for.

Tawny is a great wife, mom, daughter, and daughter-in-law, and we are all proud of her.  She has continued to walk in her faith, as has Jeff.  A dad couldn't be prouder than I am of both of them.

Happy birthday, Tawny.  I love you very much.

Dad Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment