Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Spotted Turtles

Spotted turtles with their black shells and amazing yellow spots are incredibly beautiful reptiles that are rarely seen.  Living in shallow, fresh-water areas such as flooded forests, marshes, wet meadows, bogs and woodland streams in southern Canada (Ontario) and the Eastern U.S.:  the eastern Great Lakes and east of the Appalachian Mountains, they inhabit these still waters as a natural habitat.  These types of waters provide the best environment in which to effectively hide their distinctive shells.

My first experience with a spotted turtle was an accidental sighting while setting traps for muskrats.  The canal in which I was setting the traps was covered by a greenish-yellow pond scum.  I just happened to be looking at a spot when something dark ducked beneath the surface.  Intrigued I continued watching and a few minutes later a turtle's head with black skin and bright yellow markings poked out of the scum.  Carefully marking the spot I made a grab for the turtle and caught it to discover I'd captured one of the most beautiful turtles I'd ever seen.

Spotted turtles are small, one of the things I like about them as pets, and have a gray to black base skin color.  It's upper shell (carapace) is smooth, and does not have a central ridge running down the middle (called a "keel"), growing from 1.4 to 4.9 inches in length.  A totally black shall can contain anywhere zero to about one hundred yellow spots, which are a defining characteristic of this turtle.  Spots can also be found on the head, neck, and limbs.  On the bottom shell (plastron) one will find yellow or orange-yellow and black spots present on each section (scute).  As the turtle ages the darker spots of the plastron increase until the entire thing is black.

Fascinating observations about the habitat of the spotted turtle help us see why it is so hard to easily see them in the wild.  Still waters are often dark just beneath the surface, and usually grow something over the top of the water for added protection.  As if sensing its need to find protective cover the spotted turtle actually keeps close to yellows that will blend in with those distinctive spots, effectively camouflaging the turtle.

This infant turtle (actual size) is a beautiful specimen and a good example of why I think they are such beautiful reptiles.  The one spotted turtle I captured turned out to be a great pet, but eventually I set him free, back in the same canal where I found him.  By that time he would eat out of my hand (minnows, snails, and insects) and come to the side of the tank whenever I appeared.  One day, in the near future, I hope to drive my Jeep back East and catch one or two of these wonderful turtles to add to my own turtle tank.

Thinking about spots I realized that I have blemishes in my life, spots on my shell if you will, from past experiences that were not particularly pleasant.  Pondering this I realized that my shell is black, because I'm a sinner, but on that black background God has painted some beautiful spots, things I once considered blemishes but are now adornments that draw the eye away from the darkness to the light.  God promised in Romans 8:28 to take all the things that happen in my life and cause them to turn into something that reflects His goodness, mercy, grace, and light.

Paul makes it very clear after that verse that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ.  As I observe the beautiful things God has done for me I am moved to tears.  Do you want to know how I know I am saved, and belong to my beloved Lord?  Let me show you my spots!  Have a blessed day, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment